We are a group of graduate and undergraduate students at the University of São Paulo (USP) that aims to contribute to free software (Free/Libre/Open Source Software - FLOSS) projects. We have weekly meetings at the Centro de Competência de Software Livre (CCSL) at the Institute of Mathematics and Statistics (IME-USP).
If you want to be a part of the group, simply join our social groups through the links below.
- We value freedom of code and knowledge.
- We seek to be a flat organization.
- We believe sharing is paramount to our group. And we value the mutual exchange of learning among members.
- We consider reviewing code a just as important task as adding code.
- We understand that every member should be ready to “hand over the baton”, sharing their knowledge about code and FLUSP as a whole to their peers.
Reviewing code: We believe that peer reviewing code improves its content. Therefore, all contributions should be reviewed by another contributor. If a project is found to be constantly in wait for reviews, a discussion on “handing over the baton” should be held by all members of the project. (See “do-ocracy” below).
Mentoring system: Mentors are the contributors with the most experience in a project. They are meant to help reduce the learning curve of newcomers, and are expected to, in time, “hand over the baton” to another experienced contributor.
Decentralized: The group is composed of subgroups, each working on a specific free software project. The organization and meetings of each subgroup are decided among its members.
Dynamicity: We believe in a more dynamic organization, where responsibilities and knowledge are passed to newer members, following our value of “handing over the baton” to someone else.
Do-ocracy: Responsibilities and tasks are assigned to the people who do actual work, not elected or selected officials. We encourage initiative, meaning that if you think you are capable of helping or contributing to a task, go right ahead! We’ll have your back.
How to reach us
You are welcome to join us at our:
- FLUSP Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/flusp
- GCC Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/gcc-flusp
- Linux Kernel Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/kernel-usp
- IRC Server: irc.freenode.net. Channel: #ccsl-usp
- Telegram Chat group: join here.
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkMGyGL8h9vz06PcEjivWw
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flusp/
How can an external organization help us?
Any help is immensely appreciated. Here are some ways an external organization (or person) could help us.
- Hardware donation
- Undergraduate capstone project (advisor)
- Research project (advisor)
- Internships and full-time jobs